What is it?
The Design Develpment phase is where we refine the schematic design. This is where the real fun begins. It is where the details take place that enhance the concept. We have determined the space plan, the kitchen layout, the bathroom layout but now we need to finalize the details. By now we have gotten to know each other and you have been saving images to your pinterest and Houzz idea books and have you have been sharing what you are attracted to. Based on understanding your likes and dislikes I will pick out finishes and design details that represent you and your aesthetic. I will create a unique space with custom details. Every detail is considered and specified including but not limited to Flooring, Cabinetry, Tile, Paint Colors, Ceiling details, Millwork, Windows, Doors, Soft Furnishings and Furniture. I will develop a set of details that define the project to the fullest degree possible. (For kitchen and bath remodels I will be available to help with the appliance and plumbing selection as these are critical to the layout and I can help streamline this part and sometimes overwhelming part of the process.)
During Design Development the following list is an example of things that occur:
1) Discuss and finalize details such as: space plan, windows/door/skylight locations, sections, elevations.
2) Document project scope pertaining to relevant home systems and materials.
3) Prepare Plumbing, Electrical/Lighting, and Mechanical design.
4) Prepare general construction and finish material specifications.
5) Consult with engineering and other professionals as required. (i.e. Soils, Structural, Civil, Energy, etc.) **see additional info at end of section.
6) Prepare drawings fixing and describing the Project, incorporating Owner’s final decisions to the extent reasonably possible. (Changes made following Owner’s approval are Additional Services).
7) Submit documents and other required information to Planning Department (as required), make recommended revisions and use reasonable efforts to obtain approval. Applicable governmental fees will be paid by Owner directly to the appropriate agency or, at Designer’s option, reimbursed to A Mind on Design.
**During the design process, A Mind on Design may use outsourced professional services such as Civil, Geological, Soil, Land Surveying, and Energy engineering, Landscape, Arborist, and Historical professionals as needed. Fees for these services will be estimated on the design agreement but actual charges will be based on the outside provider’s fees and out of pocket expenses and a twenty (20%) percent Administrative Fee.